Sunday, October 3, 2010

You're Never as Covert as You Think You Are


There is a phenomenon I have dealt with my whole life that has troubled and puzzled me to this very day. I first noticed it when I was in preschool when a little girl eyed what I was drawing, a lady standing next to a tree, and crumbled it up the moment I wasn't looking. First she laughed. Then I became rather scrappy. Then she cried. I noticed it again in myself when I was hanging about my mother's knee in a department store. I became thirsty after all the running around and hiding in the clothes racks. I got my mom to buy me a slushy drink. I saw another little girl with her mother. The little girl pulled on her mother's pant leg and pointed at me and my delicious drink with longing and wanting. I sipped my drink with expressions of euphoria. I mean, the drink was good, but not that good. I enjoyed having something someone else didn't have and I wanted to rub it in. C'mon. But that's the nature of the beast, isn't it!? That's the monster I want to talk about, the green one with wanting eyes. And this particular monster I speak of is undoubtedly and singularly female. Men compete but their measures are usually fairly overt, more obvious, and sporting. It's all in good fun, fair, part of life's game. It may be occasionally aggressive but at least it's not passive aggressive. Females can be clandestine to a frightening degree but I think it wise to remember that when these games roll out they are always directed at other females. And as my friend Bobby always says, "Women perceive things that men just don't see. They are crazy! The intuition is downright scary. They know it all and you don't even say a word." I think Bobby is right. How many times, girls, have you had a hunch about something only to find you were right on the money? How many times was a friend or acquaintance lying through her teeth with the sweetest smile you'd ever seen, not a flinch, and you knew, just knew, it was bunk? How many times has a guy professed his love and something just told you it was made of sweet nothingness? How about the times you felt like betrayal was waiting in the wings. There weren't any signs of it. Not really. Just a feeling, unprompted by words, sights, or experiences. And then there it is; the truth spills violently onto the page of your life. But oddly, you knew it was coming already. So, girls, the topic is jealousy. We don't like to talk about it. Many would rather continue pretending it doesn't exist. But the thing is, it does. And here's what I'm really getting at: IT SUCKS. I, for one, am tired of dealing with it, on either end. It has its uses though. I must confess. It can act as a proof, a test of true friendship. Here's how I know you're really my friend: when you say you want me to be happy, it becomes evident when something great happens and you are actually happy for me. My happiness enhances your own. You support me. You love my music or maybe you don't and you may have suggestions. But you're not upset by my successes. When you say, "The right guy will come along, " you stand by that when a candidate does come along, instead of suddenly becoming critical "on my behalf". If you're only there for me when things really suck then you really aren't my friend. If you find you like me more when my chips are down then that means you'd like me to lose. Losers are loveable? Yeah, that's not okay. I can tell who my real friends are because they want to talk about successes and they want to encourage, inspire, prolong, celebrate, and revel in them with me in those moments. They are there in times of loss as well but they do not enjoy it for the sake of it. They want to help. They want to mend. They may understand. They may not. But they care. Here's the thing; I've had it with false friends. It's obvious when someone wants you to fail just so they don't feel like a loser. It doesn't matter how sweetly they smile, how nice their words sound, or how much compassion meant to make its way all the way up to their eyebrows. No. Jealousy hangs in the wanting eyes, is curls around the hungry mouth, it rattles in the measured voice, it just does. And then you are left with a choice; pretend this person loves you or face the fact that they believe that your successes spell their failures, that when you have something great, anything--it could be a job, a talent, a story, anything!---they are wishing it would disappear, that they believe in scarcity and that there are only so many pieces to the pie and you having one means there may not be enough for them. And that's where the problem lies! These are LIES! There is enough love, money, opportunity, for all of us! I promise! We need to be patient, perhaps. Or maybe we need to work harder sometimes. Maybe we need new perspective, get creative. Whatever. All I'm saying is no one's blessings should upset you. It's bad enough when we feel jealous of people we hardly know or those we don't really know at all. When it bleeds into friendships that's where I think it gets ugly. There's no place for that sort of thing in real friendships. If I don’t WANT you to be successful, guess what? I am not your friend, am I? And I certainly don't love you. Here's what I want: friends who want me to end up with the best guy in the world, no matter what their romantic status is at the time when my guy shows up. I want friends who tell me the truth, have no agenda, and just want to be heard, loved, and respected. I want friends who aren't competing with me because they are already aware of how great they are and they are already the stars of their own life story. They want you to be the star of your life and they play an amazing supporting role to make sure your happy ending happens without a hitch. That's what a friend is to me. I have been blessed with some of these. I am profoundly grateful. There are so, so ever so many more of the other kind, the lesser kind. But that's what makes things precious I suppose, the rarity. People are never as covert as they think they are. Jealousy has a way of being an elephant dressed as a ballerina. It wants to be dainty. It just isn't.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Kristin, you are such a brilliantly expressive writer... And a true friend. Love you lady.

Unknown said...

Things I am jealous of:
elephants dressed as ballerinas

Things that inspire others to be jealous of me:
my fanny pack that I wear jogging
I have a flair and dazzle that rivals Rob Pattinson
my cat can say "abuelo"

Unknown said...

Oh yeah,

My cat is jealous of:
pug who says "Batman"
http://www.batmanpug.com/

kristin said...

"Kiderburney was a cat,
was a big, fat, cat,
was the biggest fat cat in the world!
And when he was a bunny,
he wasn't very funny.
And then one day?
THE LORD."

~Danny Ferrell

Jassem said...

While I don't wholly disagree with many elements of the female characterization herein, I do think there's something to be said about behavioral correlations with expectations.
It breeds self-fulfillment, not always of the desired variety.

Let's pick on intuition for a minute. I beg the question - is it intuition (about a person fundamentally) or how we interact with them that ultimately drives a certain action from them?

Let me clarify with an example.

Suppose someone suspects that the free-spirited nature of their boyfriend or girlfriend *might* cause problems down the road. Well, what I can tell you is that the moment you have that thought, it IS a problem. You are now viewing that person and your relationship through a lens tinted with that uncertainty. You are more, if not hyper, sensitive to even the subtleties of their expression.

Candidate question: Does their interest in travel mean they can't commit to one place or one person?

Answer: who knows, but you're thinking it... and you might have a sharp comment for them on the matter, or at least harbor a little ache in your chest when they raise that topic which is surely to precipitate a comment next time. And how to do you behave thereafter with that person? A little distant? Perhaps more sarcastic on the matter? And how might you expect someone to respond to that?


Better question: Would you be thinking the same thing if the guy/gal you just met (are just chatting with) at a gathering - friend of a friend - expressed the same interest in travel?

Answer: nope, you'd be thinking "wow, what an interesting person..."

The point: Proceed with caution setting, ahem... seeding expectations with yourself about people. The way you process information thereafter can be changed/skewed in such a way that your behavior will tend to re-enforce that expectation. If your heightened awareness for something changes the way you behave, ultimately your behavior is just as much a catalyst as the new information with which you've become aware. Self-fulfillment in a most unsavory sense.

Unknown said...

I came back here to post a more thoughtful comment on a serious subject, but Jassem nearly took the words out of my mouth. You and I talked recently about confirmation bias-- a phenomenon which can reinforce our positive beliefs about something, but is more likely to confirm our negative stereotypes about people.

I'm not saying your feelings on jealousy aren't valid, because they 100% are valid, but the portion of this blog that is a clear indictment of females kind of stuck with me. I wonder, Kristin, being as gorgeous and articulate and literate as you are, if you are more likely to be subject to the anxieties and fears of others, and in the process, jealousy from women is the obstacle that stands out to you mostly in your experience. I really have no idea, but it is an alternate hypothesis.

I always joke with you by saying, "as a feminist, I am going to have to ask you to retract that comment," but it looks like a man did it for me this time! No, no, not retract-- not anything on this beautiful blog needs to be retracted, but it definitely warrants lots of great discussion.