Friday, November 26, 2010

Hooray for Turkey Day!!


I LOVE AUTUMN! And I love Thanksgiving. Yesterday was unforgettable! I woke up early, put on my running clothes, pinned on my little bib with the number 1673 to the front of my shirt, and headed to Ivy's. Ivy was running around her kitchen trying to see if her new shoes would be ideal for our five mile run. OH YEAH!! We ran the Austin Turkey Trot!! Our friend Candace did it, too. Ivy's lovely friend Tara joined in on the fun as well. It was extraordinary! Almost 3,ooo people ran! Awesome! So, my time was within my goal, even though I had to walk a few times to catch my breath. I ran 11 minute miles and made it within 51 minutes! For me, that's great! Ivy and Candace came in before me and those girls ran the whole time! They amaze. Candace and I are going to train for a 10k next. This stuff is addicting. I don't think I ever sweat so much on a Thanksgiving before in my life. And that includes the time I did the cooking!

After that adventure Ivy took us to see a beautiful view on Mt. Bonnell. Then we went to see the peacocks at Laguna Gloria. We took pictures. Laughed. Talked. Then it was time for me to get in gear for food time!

I rushed home, took a shower, started making stuffing. Ooh. This stuffing was like heaven: cornbread, herbs, butter, three types of raisins, mushrooms, and candied slivered almonds. Great stuff! Then packed up my apple pie, glorious apple pie: grated granny smiths, darling crust that I cut into leaf shapes all over the top...packed up the stuffing, dropped off the stuffing at Ivy's, took the pie over to Jass's mom's where I had my first meal. It was so beautiful! I had never met Jassy's mom before so this was really fun for me since I've heard so much about her. She was so welcoming and lovely and her home was simply gorgeous. Such a beautiful person! And her doggies were so cute and funny and I got to pet them and talk to them. And Jass and Emily were busy busy in the kitchen making all kinds of wonderfulness. We talked while the finishing touches were being applied. They made the most amazing spread! And very healthy, too. We ate a lot, but no one ate as much as Jass. His plate was a mountain. I'll post the picture as soon as he sends it. Then we had THE PIE. Oooh. It was good. Jass said it was the best pie in the history of pies but he's always saying stuff like that. Cutie.

Then it was off to Ivy's! I love Ivy's house. It is warm and welcoming and fun and always open. Dear Melissa, Heather, Jason, Amy, and Brennen were there. Tara, Ivy, Bethany, Britney, and Desiree were there, too. It was so great, a lot like family. I had more pie. Pumpkin this time. We had a toast delivered by Ivy. It was sweet.

As I sat looking around the room I was overcome with a certain appreciation for all these people. Each one is so incredibly unique. Everybody is pursuing things, forging their dreams, making it happen in their various ways. I just thought it was beautiful in that moment. I just really felt a sense of everyone's worth, and it was really something.

I am grateful for many things. I know I do a lot of ranting on this blog but I hope I express my awe and appreciation enough, at least as much as I do my disappointment and pain. I am very aware of how charmed and blessed my life has been and continues to be. This may be an awkward time, fraught with indecision, uncertainty, and frusteration, but all in all, I think it's pretty sweet. I love being American. I love being Mormon. I love being a writer, teacher, singer, painter, and conversationalist. I love being a sister, a daughter, a friend. As we close this year, 2010, I am grateful and reflective. Thanks for reading.