Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Becoming a Mommy

   I'm due to give birth on April 25.  You might say I'm a little nervous.  But I've got to admit, I'm SO excited.  It's a girl.  Her name is Aria Marie Allington.  I loved the name as soon as I thought of it.  Aria, Italian musical term for solo, such a lovely name for my sweet baby.  I am so eager to see her little face and hold her and play with her. 
  Ely is the most excited Daddy ever.  He is always buying things for her, getting her room ready, doing research on babies and on fatherhood.  He is also really busy taking care of the Momma, cooking, cleaning, talking to the belly, shopping, and all the while working 70 hour weeks.  Ely is amazing.  I am so proud he is the father of my little baby.  I feel so blessed.
  So, pregnancy.  Yeah.  Wow.  What a world!  Initially it was really really awful.  I was nauseous all the time, throwing up every afternoon and evening, dizzy, cranky, and uber-emotional.  That lasted for four months.  The cruelty of it was how hungry I was.  Imagine!  Crazy hungry and a complete lack of appetite!  Awful!!  I had to force feed soup and watermelon.  I was more tired than I had ever thought possible and virtually incapacitated after 4pm.  I had heartburn that could fuel a rocket, feet so sore they felt like they were full of jagged little rocks, and acne to rival any teenager.  My face started to change colors as huge splotches of tan and brown showed up along my jawline and cheeks, even my nose got a swirl of new color on its bridge.  Hormones.  I've read these splotches will fade after I give birth.  We shall see. 
  So by the middle of the second trimester the nausea eventually subsided.  The feet got a little better with stretching and icing and soaking and wearing orthopedics.  I got the AOK from my doctor to take heartburn medication.  My abhorrence for food subsided.  I started to have fun with my maternity wardrobe.  My growing belly started to thump and tumble inside.  It started getting fun.  We began gathering baby stuff and setting up a nursery.  I still felt tired, emotional, and occasionally queasy but I felt a little more normal and a little more excited and optimistic.
Third trimester is just a few weeks in.  My tummy is growing, my baby is dancing in there, and I'm eating healthy doses of each food group.  My skin has cleared up, no more pimples but the tan blotches remain.  My feet still hurt but I'm still pretty mobile.  I still cry during cute and/or funny commercials.  I laugh a lot and cry a lot.  I'm feeling better than I have in a long time.  My ankles and feet are super swollen.  So are my hands.  Sometimes my face is bulbous.  There is a list of other ailments I'm too shy to list here but let's just say making a little human makes you more human than you ever were before.  That is to say, the wonders and woes of being human are never so apparent as they are when one is making a whole new human.  It is a thrill and a challenge I accept with great reverence.  I often feel inferior but I am eager to develop in all the ways I need to in order to do this thing well. 
  Becoming a mommy is my dearest dream come true.  Aria, I am so excited to meet you, little baby.  Thank you for coming to us and helping us become better people.  We can't wait!                   

No comments: