Monday, May 3, 2010

The Higher Drama




This is a poem I wrote a little over a year ago. Enjoy! To living it, THE HIGHER DRAMA!!!

The Higher Drama
Copyright 2009, Kristin M. Ferrell


At times it feels like we’ve given something up. All the idle chatter, it was fun….once. Then there was all the flame and fire that unrequited love provided. That was interesting, too. Even on the short side. There were hurt feelings by the barrel and misgivings, misinterpretations, misrepresentations, mistakes, mistakes, mistakes…. by the silo. And then there was contrition, suffering, refinement, and finally, finally, finally,,,,conversion, transcendence, the Higher Drama…the curtains opened. Where once conversation would do, we now need communion. Where once glimpses excited, we now need discovery. Where once red was the color of power, now it is the color of courage.
The Higher Drama is in the curl of my mother’s hair when my head rests on her shoulder. The Higher Drama is in the coin containing the wish that I threw in the well nine years ago….the wish that is coming true only now, here, with you. The Higher Drama is in your voice when you tell me what it is you see when you look at me, because you see me, like no else, you see me. The Higher Drama is in the eyes of the hopeful child who has never heard of anything dubious. It’s in the song written on a winter day and sung in the spring. It’s in the hands of my sister’s baby when he touches my cheek and smiles. It’s in my father’s tears as he tells me he is sorry. It’s in the whisper, not in the shout. It’s in the poem, not in the tabloid. It’s in the garden, not in the office. It’s in the womb, not in the hands, in the earth, not the powder room, in the soul, not the skin.

And there it is. And there it’s true. It has nothing to inflict, nothing to convince, nothing to persuade or control.

We have arrived, at last, at last, and casting all aside to play on such a stage we pay the price: endurance.

The Higher Drama makes anything else, anything less seem….dull.

Kristin Ferrell
April 30, 2009

4 comments:

Heather said...

This was great - thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

That was so wonderful! You are very a gifted writer for sure!
Great thoughts! Love you, Mommy

DJ Ferrell said...

I'm perfectly unbiased, this is wonderful poetry!!

Love,

Ur Dad

Unknown said...

My favorite line is "it's in the curl of my mother's hair". Nice. ~Nicole Winmill