Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Chi (Originally written on September 17, 2011)


I'm in love. With a city. I am in Chicago. I got here Friday morning. I'm here until Tuesday evening. Blissing out. My senses are feasting. I came here to celebrate my birthday with some wonderful people I've missed for more than five years. I lived here in 2005-06. I moved so that my husband could attend John Marshall Law School. I am so glad I was afforded the opportunity, even if the marriage ended a few months after the move had been made. I truly feel that I was meant to move here and experience all of the amazing things I did. I met some of the best people in the world. I worked with extraordinary teachers. I taught incredible kids. I worshiped with inspiring latter day saints. I bonded with a family that I still consider my own.
I arrived on Friday and Jessica picked me up from the air port. Jessica is my soul sister. She was my first teacher friend in Wilmette, the charming little village north of the city where I both lived and taught 05-06. She is hosting me and we are having a most wonderful time. We went straight to Greek Town to meet up with Mary Louise for lunch at Greek Island. In the old days the three of us did that and it seemed the perfect spot for our reunion. Mary Louise shared all her adventurous stories with us since her retirement four years ago. She's been on six international trips in that time! Mary Louise is one of my favorite humans of all time. She actually rode with me in my car when I made the long trek home from Chicago after my legal separation, summer '06. She figured out the whole journey for us, bought the maps, helped book hotels along the way. It was wonderful to have her with me for those four long days as I started my life over again as a single woman. We talked about so many things on our little journey years ago and it was so fun to see her again after five years and catch up on all her adventures and misadventures since. She went on an archaeological dig with the University of Chicago in Turkey. She's also been to Australia, Peru, China, Egypt, Israel and Jordan. From chilling with Aborigines to exploring the pyramids this lady has done just about everything. She is so National Geographic. It's inspiring. She finds time for the opera house in Chicago, Symphonies in Millennium Park, and frequent museum visits. I love her kind and soft face, all the enthusiasm, as she tells a tale. It's wonderful to see her waving her hands around as she describes the Egyptian desert or tells funny stories about her kookie neighbors or jogs our memories about eccentric former students we had. We ate liberal amounts of luscious Greek delicacies and talked and talked. My eyes were soaking up all the wonders around us, the mosaics in the walls, the faux grape vines adorning the moldings near the ceiling.
Ah, Chicago, Chicago. How I've missed thee. How I've missed the language of honking horns. How I've longed for nights on the beach of Lake Michigan, walks around the BaHa'i temple at dusk, ethnic food whenever you crave it, frank talks with virtual strangers, people feeling comfortable getting in your grill like it's to be expected just because of your forced proximity and lack of personal space. Chicago! I love your Art Institute! I love the fudge at Margie's Candies! I love Zach Dodson and his greyhound and beautiful girlfriend! I love Logan Square and the little Colombian restaurant where I used to get tamales wrapped in banana leaves. I miss Devon Street and all its wondrous Persian food and glittering Indian boutiques. I miss snow and black soil and down coats , blankets, and woolen socks, mittens, hats and even hat hair. I love my Chi. I miss tulip covered medians, clock towers, church bells, and baseball fans so loyal they'll root for their boys even after seven consecutive bad seasons. There is NO PLACE like Chicago. Sadly, it will likely never be home again. But I'm glad it was home and I'm glad it's home away from home.

No comments: