Thursday, March 4, 2010

First Grade


First grade had a lot of firsts in it. Lost my first tooth. Wrote my first long essay. Got my first real scar. Fell in "love" for the first time. Scott Boaz was the most mystical experience I had ever had. He was new to our school. Sadly, he wasn't in my class. He was in Ms. Paul's class next door. I was in Mrs. Crumley's class. My teacher was the mother of my best friend, Leah. Leah was really smart and really goodie goodie and I always had the feeling that Mrs. Crumley sort of thought I was not a good influence. Even when I was in her class I always felt like she thought I was too grown up for my own good. She was always making comments about how pretty she thought I was, but her face didn't look happy about it. It was weird. That was the first time I remember feeling embarrassed about my looks. I wasn't trying to be pretty but I had the distinct feeling that Mrs. Crumley thought it was something of a crime in any case. Anyway, I think she wasn't the only one who thought I was pretty. Scott Boaz, big brown eyes, short, spiky, blond hair, tall (at least three point five feet tall), and he had his permanent teeth in front! Well, at least it looked like they were coming in nicely. I remember seeing him for the first time in Spanish class. Those of us who passed a certain test got to take Spanish every day for 45 minutes while other kids had Reading. It was wonderful! And he was in there! That meant he was smart, too! I knew it! I noticed he was a little shy at first but in no time, in a matter of days, we were talking, laughing, playing, and getting into plenty of trouble. We played this game a lot like tag except instead of tagging me Scott would pick me up and carry me around the playground until his little legs gave out. Ha! Poor little guy. I thought he was so cool and so smart. He spoke Spanish a little strangely but not everyone has a great accent right away. He came from some place like Iowa or something. First grade was full of drama and intrigue thanks to Scott. Years went on and we never became legitimate significant others but I'll always have a special place in my heart for my first love, Scott Boaz.

1 comment:

Alexa said...

my first love was also in first grade. his name was john sigren, and we shared the same birthday. our names shared a birthday car on the birthday train that was posted around the classroom. when i saw that, and i saw that he was blonde, i knew we were meant to be. i made sure he liked me by holding his hand and dragging him around the playground. our moms brought us to the park so i could boss him around some more. he was my first (and only?) eskimo kiss (wait, my mom and i have eskimo kissed).
first grade was a good year.